Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The good old KL REX


Reading her blog on Rex theater gave me an idea for mine and I decided to write me memoried of that theater.

I look back and reflect her article on the good old days when Rex KL used to be THE place to watch the latest movies. It was him happening and what more its near Petaling Street.
It be placed we take out gfren to , dates, night out and stuff....

Today the in thing is cosyness comfort and places like this of slowly dies a natural death.

Facts:
- After more than 25 years in operation, GSC Rex KL closed its doors for the last time on November 15, 2002.
- The original Rex Theatre burned down in the early 1970s.
- A new single screen, 1100-seat theater was erected in its place in 1976.
- The newer Rex's auditorium is not only larger, but it contains a balcony.
- The Rex became the first cinema in Malaysia to have a DTS sound system in 1993 in conjunction with the opening of Jurassic Park.
- The front foyer was revamped in 1995 and computerized ticketing was installed.


I will aways miss Rex for sentimental reasons it a place I hanged out, a place where the que would go around the block on the 39th day to buy ticket for Jurassic Park(DTS)....many would probably not get an experience of sitting in a 1000 seat theater

hmmmmm life passing moment

For most of us, it is the cinema we grew up with. But for the younger generation, it is sad that they will probably never get to experience watching a movie on a giant screen, just like the ones in these old cinemas.

6 comments:

Angie Siew said...

Where is this REX la... nvr been there...

~*~LostSoul~*~ said...

I remembered sumwat during my adolescene years going paktor there ...

it's nearby petaling street ...

darthvadai said...

thats why angie you miss all this

lostsoul should have tackle u that time lol

~*~LostSoul~*~ said...

ahaks :)

Angie Siew said...

Thats becos i am too young to know where is REX... not my generation! la la la

Nishanti said...

REX!!!

Went there for a movie with this guy. Never lasted long there... only 20minutes because he was exploring me instead of the movie!!!!!!!!!

My only memory of it. Nevertherless it is a sweet one.