Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Puratasi Sani


BANANA LEAF HOME COOKED

For the record I aint the religious kind,call me lazy or watever me not that kind lo anyway back in Klang for a while the old lady actualy one of my inlaws who actually is on my side lol always without fail invited me and my mum and the family to her house for the last day of prayers. D old lady does this on a grand scale. And for the record my mum always said I got it around me lol. D old lady always held my high up as much as I am humble to her, probably she seen enough with hey eyes...

So what was the prayer about...


Puratasi is a Tamil month closely associated with Lord Vishnu (Lord Venkateswara). The Puratasi Saturdays are of great significance and special prayers are offered on Saturdays of the month to please Lord Shani or Shani dev. In 2007, Puratasi month starts on September 18 and ends on October 17. Some devotees observe fast on Puratasi Saturdays to please Sani Bhagvan. The Puratasi Saturdays in 2007 are on September 22, September 29, October 6 and October 13.

According to Hindu mythology, Lord Venkateswara or Balaji descended on earth in the month of Puratasi. Special prayers are offered at the Srirangam Ranganathaswamy Temple during this month. Lord Vishnu devotees consider this as the apt month for thanking Lord Vishnu for preserving the Mother Nature.

There is a general belief that Saturdays are free from the influences of Lord Shani or Sani Bhagvan and it is easy to please him on this day. Generally, other navgrahas, other than Sani, have more influence during Puratasi month and therefore it is easy to get blessings from Lord Balaji.

Devotees of Lord Venkateswara take only a meal on Puratasi Saturdays. Some devotees only eat vegetarian food during the month. On Saturdays, Naamum, the two feet symbol of Lord Vishnu’s feet, is drawn on the forehead by males and women opt for a red dot. Hymns dedicated to Lord Vishnu are chanted on Saturdays.



Enough on technicalities

Food superb, finished off with payasam on banana leaf.... lots and lots and lots of slurping as jnr vadai and senior vadai compete to slurp the payasam!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oo.. finally thanks to u i get the anwser for the vegetarian month hahaha, i fasted few years back ever purtasi not knowing what was it for :D