Tuesday, September 20, 2005

SICK!!!!!!! & Rasam



Boy oh Boy last week has sure taken its toll on my.... my throat gone and I went to the doc and the bugger say I got to take MC dammmmm!!!! tons of work and a full schedule this week.... I wonder if James Brown ever had a throat infection form all the singing without the mic!!

What you think Makcik & Marie?


So I am grounded and I dun know if I can complete my task this week agghhh



So I learn instantly how to make RASAM

You know rasam?? Hehe (damm the pic dun want to up load lo)

'RASAM'

Now which one of you indian food lovers dun know this an absolute delicacy....
Rasam normally forms the second course in a traditional South Indian menu. There are various ways of preparing it. It is normally mixed with plain cooked rice and eaten with different curries for sidedish. It makes for a very good appetizer or soup also when taken all by itself.

This wonderful dish is also a good remedy for cold and sore throat... I usually like drinking rasam on cold days (or when I'm having a cold).


Ordinary Rasam

Ingredients : Rasam powder, tamarind paste/tamarind extract, water, salt, curry leaves, coriander/cilantro leaves, asaefoetida, ghee, tomato(optional), toor dal(1 tblspn). Pressure cook the toor dhal in water. In a hard bottomed vessel, pour a cup or two of water. Add salt and rasam powder to it. If tomato is used, dice into small pieces and let it cook for a few minutes in this water. After this comes to a boil, add tamarind extract/paste and boil for 5 more minutes. Add the cooked toor daal(mashed well) to the boiling mixture. Boil further for 5 minutes. When the rasam starts emitting a very good aroma, turn the stove off. Garnish with curry and coriander leaves. Add a sprinkle of asaefoetida powder. Saute mustard seeds in ghee and add to this.

RASAM OR MULLIGATAWNY SOUP

Ingredients:
1 cup thuvar dal
2 tsps sambhar powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 big tomato
1/2 cup tamarind pulp
a pinch of asafoetida
1 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
a few curry leaves
ghee
salt to taste

Method:
Soak the dhal for an hour and pressure cook it till soft. Mash well. Boil thin tamarind pulp. Add chopped tomatoes, sambhar powder, turmeric powder asafoetida and boil till the raw smell disappears, Add cooked dhal and salt to taste. Boil for 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of cold water. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes Heat one tbsp ghee. Fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Pour over the prepared rasam. Add chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

man who cooks are sexy and...nothing like licking a little 'curry' off their fingers....to taste the salt la

marie said...

oOoo i loveeeeeeeeeee rasam... yummy... my mum makes the best rasam on this planet!! hehehe well to me of coz..heheh

by the way.. my must be the only idiot on this planet who dont want an MC... podah!!!