Thursday, February 22, 2007

Time of Crisis, depend on who u can depend only

The phrase swept off their feet is common especially in trauma situation

Being jolted out of bed with the handphone ringint o find my cousing calling me "Annai come quick something wrong with papa" are not words one like to hear. I sat up in bed as she repeated the same line. My reply "Ok I am coming" Got my ex to come in to take of Jnr who was sleeping with me. Jumping into my shorts, grabbing my mobiles ran out of the house. I did not tell anyone inthe house because not point in alarming them ( I did get a tongue lashing for that), at a point of crisis everyone is on a need to know basis that my philosophy.

I could not find my slippers but I knew my jogging shoes were in the car... ran to the car barefooted, my mind already thinking of contingency plans and who I should call as a backup. Driving as hard as I could, checked him into emergency, kept the son posted on the progress (driving from seremban), kept my aunt and cousin in one piece and work thru the waves.

It helps when you know someone in the General Hospitals, things flow smoothly. Remember that. My uncle had a TIA (another blog) and with such a traumatic event like this happening after a few days after the wedding dinner gave everyone concern a traumatic.

When the family got together after all tongue lash me for not telling them, I kept quiet for a while, taking a lot of shit, then in a respectful manner put it across to them

In a point of medical emergency, you need calm collected people to get thing moving, you people who can run, organize and get thing done. You cant have a bus load of 15 people following one sick man into the hospital, you can over whelm the poor guy by visiting. At a point of crisis the only important people are the immediate family the wife the daughter and the son. Only much later the rest were informed. Granted I am not a doctor but I can deliver when needed. My cousin need me to help her at a point of crisis and that that matters. After my explanation I got 2 apologies and 3 sheepishly looking elders

Traumatic experiences likes this puts things in prespective.... "People are usually surprised at how much a crisis or trauma affects them. It frequently changes the way they think, their values, habits, feelings and behaviour. It influences most aspects of their life. Usually people do not expect their families to be affected as much as they are. But a major event or crisis in the life of one member always influences their family. Although it is made up of individuals, a family is a unit. What changes one member, changes the others. But this also means there is much that family members can do to help someone who is affected by trauma.

A crisis or trauma can also bring benefits to a family in the form of greater understanding, closeness or a new appreciation of each other. It can help to focus on what is most important in life. But sometimes it can bring difficulties or misunderstanding, especially if family members do not understand why they are reacting the way they are nor why they are having to adapt to each other in new ways. Often it may not be clear how the feelings and even bodily reactions are connected with what has happened, especially some time after the event. The time it takes to recover from trauma is always underestimated.

Most families can get over these problems when they begin to understand why they are occurring and accept that it will take time. "

No comments: