Thursday, July 12, 2007

I feel good - Badminton

With all the hassle, travelling, paperwork, red tape, idiots, slow coach and act of god incident I have faced since Monday, I am glad for a few things this Wednesday,

I am glad Jen waited for me for a time more then expected due to unexpected traffic and further delays ( though he did get some business) hahaha, if he did not pick me I would have gone home since the car was out action.

So out of office trips here and there, traffic snarls, over turned somethings resulted in Jen shuttling me direct to Badminton!!

It was a fucking awesome workout 5 sets winning 3 losing 2. The best in my reckoning was me and uncle versus the great wall of china - patrick and loh.

It was actually a betting game which I decline, but they spoke in Chinese and Uncle took on the bet, we had 5 point to start with. Let me put it this way we are the lowest raking taking on one of the top ranked team.

Leading on to 7-0, I managed to catch a few words then I actually understood that if we had lost Uncle would have paid for me as well. Then it was game on. Taking the lead at one point to 12-0 we were playing for out lives, Kodak moment ball lifted slightly to the side over the net I pounced jumped the whole world seem to pause ala Matrix as I glanced and delivered a backhand smash. Yippi-Ka-Yeah.

The big boys were rattled and they fought back, tiredness, fatigue and losing concentration and the fact they are that good as they cut down the lead to 12-9, the service change hands a couple of times till it was 13-10, we fought on, uncle famous words "Never say die!!"

and we never dies as I served and lead on to win 15-10. WOW WOW let out a blood curling cry, body drenched, legs wobbly, mind ecstatics high 5 Jen on the way out of the court. Made me smile to see them pay uncle the money, even it is one buck each, we beat them. An old uncle and a raw kiddo beat them

Feels good. To savour the moment, to feel the victory.

In most of the sets the game plan is to attack me if I am at the back as my backhand is not strong and my ability to send the shuttle to the base line is not good enough, so my focus was turned to driving the shuttle as far back as I could when ever I am pinned back. It worked most of the time. I need to build my strength back in my arm and upperbody.

When Jen partnered me it not that I did not go back but I move forward when Jen was covering the back, I like partnering Jen as he is in tune with me style of game and give me hints and pointers to improve.

For the record I am the only indian on that count and have never felt out of place, i do not fault them if the basis language is english, but they smile and not and a simple hi and hello to greet. Makes you feel welcome. People like uncle and ricky often give pointer and encouragement as they watch you play.

The basis of the set you play no matter betting or friendship is that you will make mistakes, you will have a partner to encourage you, you work as a team and you give it 100%, you try for every shuttle, you push to the max you can. When you achieve this no one will fault you.


Next week scud lands (if he shows up)

1 comment:

Svejjen said...

*chuckles*

Okla... improving... work on the wrist strength as well as the court coverage and you'll be fine.

(goes and works on consistancy)