Tuesday, November 22, 2005

An Internet Fren

Even in my wildest dreams I would have never imagined the 'information highway' would ever be a source of meeting interesting people. As with most of us, my quest began with simple curiosity. I never expected to make friends from all over the globe. Friends, who may only be online, but still a very real and important part of my life....I emphasize my life... My experiences have been varied, some good and some not so good and some very the bad. But in each case, a door was opened where I received a chance to explore another person. As human beings, we feel the need to connect, need to reach out to people who understand us and want to listen to what we have to say. The virtual friends in the cyber world provide us means and opportunities of fulfilling the need to express our thoughts and opinions in a way that real world may not offer. Besides providing the opportunity for self-statement, my online relationships have taught me many things that have helped me improve my personal life and relationships.

1. I became a better listener (and a bad typist)
Since typing on a screen is very different from real life conversations, when communicating on the net, one becomes better tuned as to what the other person is saying. In the real world, although we may think that we listen much closer, but we do more with our eyes, than with our ears. For me, communicating with my virtual friends in cyber world has helped me to become a better listener in my personal life. I realized that, in the real world, I would hear people, but not really listen to them. After learning so much about a person in such a short time over the Internet, I realized that the one on one attention was the key factor in getting to know another person. Also, it was the key to really listen to them.

This knowledge when transferred to my relationships in real life has made me a better listener. I focus a lot more on what others are saying and that helps me to understand what they really mean.
2. I learnt to accept and respect people who held beliefs and views different from mine.
I learn each culure and it own sets of morals and values some that I can relate to..One of my closest on line friend has views on God, religion and morality that are very different from mine. From this friendship, I have learned that even if two people believe differently, they can still be friends and enjoy each other's company. But it takes work to get there. I
Something that does not come easily for most people, including me. This friendship helped me realize what others believe or what they think about you does not define that who you are. More importantly, who you are is defined by what you believe about yourself. If not, then you become a slave to other people's way of life and not free to be who you were created to be.

3. I discovered parts of myself that I never knew existed within me.
My mind's window is opened to new ideas, thoughts and creativity. Causing things to flow from me that I was not aware existed. These friends have helped in discovering what was lying dormant within me. (not just sex that was dormant lol)

I see friendship on the Internet a delightful yet fearful journey into one's being. It is nevertheless a journey well worth taking. I have only spoken of my good experiences. However, not all experiences will be good and as you would like them to be. You can avoid and minimize bad experiences by taking some precautions. Oh boy have I got some bad ones

just remember one very important rule ...."If they sound too good to be true, then most likely they are." Keep in mind that we are all human and we all have good qualities and bad qualities. There are no perfect people. (neither am I)

As long as you are realistic and cautious, you can make good, lasting friendships. If you are looking for the good, you will find it. Without the Internet, I would not have had the opportunity to meet some wonderful people and be able to learn valuable things from their unique qualities and enhance my life in so many different ways.

For me Internet friendship has been a means of personal growth, one that continues daily, and I wouldn't trade it, not even in exchange for anything

No comments: