Off the NST
THEORIES, predictions and prop- hecies abound about which team will be crowned champion this World Cup.
Quoting soothsayers and other authoritative sources, many feel that it is Europe’s turn to take the title. Some say there is a conspiracy to ensure that defending champions Brazil are denied the cup for the sixth time.
But of the many crystal-gazing guesses making their rounds, I find this one I received via email from a dear friend the other day interesting:
• Brazil won in 1994 and before that it won in 1970: 1970 + 1994 = 3964
• Argentina won its last World Cup in 1986 and before that in 1978: 1978 + 1986 = 3964
• Germany won its last World Cup in 1990 and before that in 1974: 1974 + 1990 = 3964
• In 2002 and 1962, Brazil won the Championships: 1962 + 2002 = 3964
• So it is logical to predict what will happen this year — all that is needed is to look for another year that would verify the formula: 3964-2006 = 1958.
Brazil were the champions in 1958, so we can conclude that Brazil will win this year.
But first, the indomitable South Americans will have to overcome a spirited Ghana tonight.