Saturday, April 22, 2006

Long Distant Relationships - Does it work - What types of relationship

FV sms me to today to read The Star today on an article of Long Distant Relationships (LDR). Its an article by By Trisha Rajah who has the following blog http://allagirlwants.blogspot.com/

A definate need to read blog and the article. She goes to articulate the concept of LRD and abolish them once and for all. Good point

I had this comment on her blog
LDR aint meant to work its just a cheap alternative to saperating and being friend, when you cant do that all these, you start plotting solution that are supposed to work? being 50km 500km or 5000km makes no difference just the same conditions in different environments. Lovely article Bravo


In hindsight we need to elaborate whats kind of relationships that are being defined here, The first thing to understand is that a relationship across great distances does not necessarily qualify as a relationship. We define types of interpersonal relationships in terms of relational contexts of interaction and the types of expectations that communicators have of one another.

Friendship


Theories of friendship emphasize the concept of friendship as a freely chosen association

Family


Family communication patterns establish roles, identities and enable the growth of individuals. Family dysfunction may also be exhibited by communication patterns.

Romantic


Romantic relationships are defined in terms of the concepts of passion, intimacy and commitment.

The article explored the close relationships generally romantic where the dependancy and the need fot both partners on each other are tested over a distance. For my, this does not apply for family and friends because the need is vastly difference from those in a romantic relationship. There are three basic options when dealing with a long-distance love affair: the couple can remain faithful to each other; they can date other people and see what happens; or they can call it quits and start dating other people right away. Each choice may or may not work.

I agree with Trish that LRD dun work in romantic relationships (rare maybe got la) but in family and friends it does work and I am a living testament. This weekend I meet a dear friend who I meet, at the most quarterly. We have a steady relationship, we know about each other good and bad and a bond developed, thats for another blog.

4 comments:

Angie Siew said...

I totally agree... with family it is ok... u can go back once a while to see them but in a romantic relationship... i dont think it will work out...

I need to see Ant everyday... I dont think I can go pass a day without seeing him... maybe can but will be quite suffering...

I will just miss him like mad... Sorry I sound like a stupid girl but I am not stupiak! ;P Just in love... ;)

Anonymous said...

Trisha in the same article also wrote :
'As any veteran of LDRs will tell you, the only thing worse than squabbling is doing it on a long distance phone call or through Instant Messaging.'

squabbling exist in all forms of relationship. my 2cents worth - end of day regardless how we can categorise put boundaries to any form of relation it all comes down to how much we value the person. To go on 'squabbling' in IM/SMS or solve it over coffee is decided upon how much the person is valuable to us. be it family, friends or someone initimate.

darthvadai said...

Anonymous -The objective in general of her article is LDR dun work. I went futher to point it is especially true in a romantic relationship. In any romantic relationship be it communication in any form with the advent of Skype, MSN, Yahoo it is doom to fail.

I, however disagree when it come to friends, family it does work then they trast it out in a form of communication practical to both parties and most importantly move on. When they do not move on then it is doom to fail.

I am a case in fact, by choice or by face most of my communication with most of my friends and family are primarily via email, sms, msn and yahoo and we communicate more thru that then in person

Cheers!!!

~*~LostSoul~*~ said...

another long entry and my brain ish dead at the moment ... huhu